5 Reasons Why You Should Buy from a Canadian Retailer
Look beyond the price tag, and you’ll soon discover you’re paying more when you buy products from a company outside of Canada.
Canadian consumers have complained about the retail price gap between products and services sold in Canada versus the U.S. for so long it’s almost a national sport.
Canada has benefited tremendously from its decades-old free-trade agreement with the U.S. Why wouldn’t one of those benefits include equitable price stickers for consumers? Unfortunately, weighing retail prices stateside and here is not an apples-to-apples comparison.
The discrepancies between Canadian and American retail price tags persist because of factors beyond Canuck retailers’ control, like fluctuations in the Canadian-U.S. dollar exchange rate, and the cost for Canadian merchants to purchase and export inventory stateside in greenbacks.
Why Buying Canadian Is Important
Here are five great reasons for you to buy your specialized tools, instruments, and safety gear from a Canadian company:
- We employ Canadians. When you make purchases through a Canadian retailer, you’re keeping hard-working Canadians employed who can, in turn, contribute to our economy. Plus, when Canadian businesses are successful, they give back to their communities by supporting local charities, cultural associations, local amateur sports teams, and other civic-sponsored events.
- Purchasing goods in Canada strengthens our economy. Each time you purchase a Canadian made product or any product through a Canadian retailer, you’re helping to strengthen the Canadian economy, and it creates a ripple effect that touches other Canadian businesses. Moreover, your purchase contributes to our national tax base to help pay for healthcare, education, and more.
- Easy returns at no additional cost. If you buy a product and then determine it’s not what you wanted, you’ll want to exchange it or return it for a refund. That’s not easy when you’re dealing with a retailer located outside of Canada. If you need to return your purchase, you will have to cover the cost of shipping and other fees to return it to that international retailer. Also, if you make a purchase in U.S. dollars using your Canadian credit card, your credit card company will charge you a currency conversion fee that can range anywhere from 2.5 per cent to 4 per cent on the value of that purchase.
- You don’t pay high cross-border shipping costs. The convenience of online shopping is crystal clear, but the prohibitive cost of shipping that product to your front door from outside of Canada is not. The fact is, when you purchase a product from a Canadian retailer online, your shipping costs are lower than having the product imported, and it will arrive at your door sooner. If you make the same purchase in-person at a retail location, there is no additional shipping cost levied against you because you’re already paying for it in the sticker price. Furthermore, when retailers purchase inventory, they do so in bulk quantities, which reduces the cost of shipping.
- It’s an environmentally friendly act. Think about it: if you purchase a product online from a company in Europe, Asia, or the U.S., it has a long way to travel to get to you in Canada. That means a lot of fossil fuel will be burned transporting that product to you from abroad. Purchasing products at home equals a smaller carbon footprint by comparison because there’s far less transportation involved.
For more than 45 years, Universal Field Supplies has been the Canadian equipment supplier professionals working in the arboriculture, forestry, mineral exploration, and environmental science industries trust. Have a question about the gear you need? Call our expert staff toll-free at 1-800-387-4940.
- Bold Apps